216 First Street

John L. Scott Reality (Blacksmith Shop / Luhn Building / Retail)

1905: Anderson's Blacksmith Shop Built

First Street looking west circa 1915 (Courtesy South Whidbey Historical Society)

Anton Myre Anderson arrived in Langley in August 1904 with his wife Josephine and son Otto. He started a blacksmith shop at Third Street and Anthes Avenue, then moved his business to First Street around 1905.

"I loved that blacksmith shop. People came from Bayview, Maxwelton and Clinton to have their wagon wheels repaired and their horses shod. It was always warm there, and he had a little room with a cot, table, few chairs and a stove. The coffee pot was always on the back of the stove and a few goodies on the table." Esther (Anderson) Moe.

Anton Anderson died in 1933.

1939: Luhn Building replaces blacksmith shop

Luhn Building in 1939. (Courtesy Joan Handy)

In 1939, Richard Luhn constructed a building with a brick facade on the site of "Blackie" Anderson's blacksmith shop to house his real estate and insurance business (right) and Stanley Lawrence's dental office (left).

Luhn Building in 1942. (Courtesy Anna Primavera)

By 1942, the date "1939" and name "Luhn" had been added to the facade.

1968: First Properties Real Estate

Circa 1973 -- First Properties. (Courtesy John Ball)

"Robert L. Smith, a World War II veteran who worked his way into real estate, came to Langley in the early '60's when business was withering in the small town...'things were really falling apart', Smith said."

"He purchased 180 feet of waterfront property in 1965 stretching from the Dog House to the far edge of the park. Buildings were refurbished and new tenants were installed, primarily from his own family." (Lisa Chapman in Whidbey Record 1996). In 1968 Robert's older brother Ward opened a branch office of Smith's real estate company called First Properties.

New facade - 1984 (Courtesy Langley City Hall)

Lawyer G. Timothy Martin purchased the building in 1982 for his law practice. He remodeled with an addition to the building in 1985, and then sold the next year.

1986: Waterman Enterprises buys building and adds awnings.

Facade with awnings - 1992 (Courtesy Langley City Hall)

Waterman Enterprises, Inc. purchased the building in November 1986. The building had two rental spaces until they were combined into one in 1994. The brick facade was in danger of collapse and was replaced with a wood shingle facade designed by Todd Soli in the summer of 1996.

Renters from 1987 to 2013 included: Ross Chapin, Architect (March 1987 - August 1991), Coldwell Banker Real Estate (May 1989 - December 1990), Windermere Realty (December 1990 - July 2002), Roberta Sawyer Clothing (August 1991 - June 1994), Lee and Pat Wilkerson's Enchanted Eagle Emporium gifts (February 1993 - July 2002), Sharon Archer's Body Cover clothing (July 2002 - August 2005), Richard and Tessa Guenther's Act II Books and Puppets (August 2005 - February 2008), Bret Christenson's Celtic Jewelry and gifts (February 2008 - November 2012)

March 2004 (Courtesy Robert Waterman)

Sharon Archer's Body Cover clothing (July 2002 to August 2005).

July 2007 (Courtesy Robert Waterman)

Richard and Tessa Guenther's Act II Books and Puppets (August 2005 to February 2008)

2010 "Celtic Viking Jewelry". (Courtesy Robert Waterman)

Bret Christenson's Celtic Jewelry and gifts (February 2008 to November 2012)

2013: Real Estate office returns

2016 John Scott office. (Courtesy Robert Waterman)

Cheryl Keefe purchased the building in 2013, and it currently houses the John L. Scott Real Estate office.