201 First Street

Star Store Clothing (General Mercantile / Community Center / Residence)

1914: Building built by Brotherhood of Yeoman.

1915. Hunziker Brothers Mercantile (Courtesy Bonnie Peters).

A two-story building was constructed in 1914 by Mr. Manley on a lot owned by the "Whidby Homestead #1384, Brotherhood of American Yeoman, Des Moines, Iowa." It served as a mercantile and community center for many years.

Walter Hunziker and his brother William Oscar ("Bob") ran the store from 1914 to 1915 when Bob decided to go to Alaska. It was next run by the Whidby Cooperative, then sold to the Whidby Trading Company on November 22, 1922.

1922. First Street looking east (Courtesy Winifred Hunziker).

1923. Whidby (sic) Trading Company between Star Store (left) and the Post Office (right).

In 1926, the building and all accounts of the Whidby(sic) Trading Company and wares and assets was sold to John F. Lehman, who in turn sold it to Neils C. Peterson and Paul M. DeBruyn on January 12, 1927.

In the 1930’s, Mr. Kyler ran the store on the first floor before selling it to Mr. and Mrs. Les Kingsley who had a hardware and lumber store on the first floor just prior to WW II.

Circa 1938. Kinsley Mercantile next to the Star Store (Courtesy South Whidbey Historical Society).

It housed several businesses during the 1940's and 50's including Witter Electric, Harry Palmerston Real Estate office, and the Whidbey Record. It also served as a hardware and lumber store during the war. The Rainbow Assembly and the Masons met on the second floor until 1948 when the Masons moved into their new temple next to the library on Second Street.

Ben Breedlove, his sister and his mother occupied the second floor for several years during the late 1940's. "The upstairs was a great big open hall with hardwood floor, and right behind the hall was a two-bedroom apartment. You went down this very narrow alley between the Star Store which was brick and the hardware store which was just wooden siding. Then you went up a set of covered stairs all the way up to the second floor."

"Mom ran a laundry up there. We made our money in the summer because the Seattle people from Sandy Point were the only ones who had the money to have their laundry done. We roller skated in the hall she used for a drying room. We got into trouble because the customers in the store complained loudly about all the noise coming from up above."

Circa 1950. DeBruyn building next to the State Liquor Store (right) (Courtesy south Whidbey Historical Society).

1961. The Debruyn building with the Whidbey Record office (Courtesy Darrell Corbin).

1970: Victor Primavera buys the building.

Victor Primavera purchased the building from Elta C. DeBruyn by on October 19, 1970, and had it demolished. Victor's son Joe and his friends rented the city’s dump truck and took the debris to the dump. Some of the flooring from the demolished building (arrow in the above photo) became very slippery when it got wet.

Circa 1976. Aerial view of vacant lot next to the Star Store (Courtesy South Whidbey Historical Society).

Circa 1985. Gap left by removal of the DeBuyn Building between the Star Store and Liquor Store (Courtesy South Whidbey Historical Society).

The Star Store was purchased in 1977 by Dale Elliott who sold it to Eugene and Tamara Felton in 1984.

1994: Addition to the Star Store constructed.

2007. Latest addition to Star Store (Courtesy Robert Waterman).

An addition to the Star Store designed by Michael Boyd was erected in 1994 on the site formerly occupied by the DeBruyn Building.